While antidepressant medications are often prescribed to manage this often crippling condition alongside psychological therapy, there are alternative remedies that can be deployed to assist the management of depression.
- The herb St. John’s wort can be used to treat mild to moderate depression.
- Nutrients such as inositol, phenylalanine, tryptophan, methylfolate, vitamin B12, zinc and magnesium can be incorporated to alleviate depression.
- Fish oil taken in high doses can help to reduce depression.
- Correcting underactive thyroid hormone production and taking the hormone DHEA might help to diminish depression.
- Assessing and addressing genetic signatures can assist with individualising treatment strategies to combat depression.
- Exercise has been shown to alleviate depression.